Connect with us


How to register your marriage in Ghana with the Registrar General



Marriage under the ordinance is the civil union available to any Ghanaian to take advantage of, and despite some confusion, it is entirely secular and not religious (Christian) at all.

This is governed by the Marriages Act (Cap 127) and is the only, strictly monogamous legal means of marriage in Ghana.

Those intending to get married are required to give notice to the marriage registrar in the district where the marriage is going to occur.

The registrar would then publish a notice of marriage and then issue a certificate after 21 days if no objection is raised.


The marriage certificate must then be presented to a licensed marriage officer, after which the couple must get married within three months or that certificate becomes null and void.

The applicant may obtain prescribed Declaration Form and complete with the assistance of the Marriage Registrar.

Question of Consent / Declaration for consideration

Have the couple ever been married before under the ordinance law? Yes / No

If YES…? Kindly state the reason.


Divorce Certificate or Death Certificate is a mandatory requirement and must be in English should this be the reason


  • It’s a must for the couple to be present to start the registration
  • Couple must be 18 years and above and also of sound mind
  • Two witnesses are to be provided from each side of the couple if marriage is to be celebrated at the Registrar General’s Department.
  • Time Frame: Marriage must be celebrated within 20 days from the start date

When a foreigner is involved:

If the two are not Ghanaians, they are to produce residence permit or must stay in the country for more than 15 working days.

However, if one Ghanaian is involved, the above requirement is not needed


Do you have any news to share with us? WhatsApp us via +233558210224.
Or email us via [email protected].

Click to comment

Comment on this


%d bloggers like this: