Connect with us

General News

MASLOC begins disbursement of funds to fire victims at Odawna market

Published

on

The Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) has begun the disbursement of GHC2 million to some 3,000 traders who got affected in last month’s fire outbreak at the Odawna market at Circle.

The incident which occurred on 18 November razed down about 90% of the stalls at the Odawna market.

The interest-free loan disbursement with a one-year moratorium which begins today (2 December) will be done in phases.

Afua Akoto deputy CEO of MASLOC, who announced the disbursement to the affected traders said the government is committed to providing relief for the affected traders.

“We believe this support will go a long way to give a little relief. The minimum amount a beneficiary will be paid is GH¢2,000 so the government through MASLOC is doing this,” she said.

Akoto added “When the incident happened, we came here with the MCE to assess the damage situation. We realized that so far as it is about market women, so far as it is about family and business, we do what we are expected to do to help the victims.”

President Akufo-Addo on 18 November assured the National Board Small Scale Industries will support the affected traders after visiting the fire scene.

“The MCE and others have started working to document all traders whose shops have been destroyed and the government will subsequently move in to offer them help within the shortest possible time so they can resume their trading immediately,” President Akufo-Addo said.

He also promised the entire market will be rewired to avert future fire outbreaks.

“Government has begun the rewiring of all markets in Accra and we will ensure that we stop such tragic indicants from happening again,” President Akufo-Addo said.

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Business

Uber removes cancellation fees it charges on cancelled trips

Published

on

Uber removes cancellation fees

Uber removes cancellation fees it charges on cancelled trips

Ridesharing giant Uber has announced the removal of cancellation fees it charges on trips that are cancelled by either drivers or riders.

In the circular sent to all stakeholders, the company explained that after careful study of the market, it has come to realise that removing the trip cancellation charges will ensure that the Uber platform remains the best option for all.

Now going forward if you are 5 minutes late, drivers may choose to cancel the request with no penalty.

The circular reads:

Cancellation fees on Uber have now been removed. This means that no charges will be applied on cancelled trips.

At Uber, we are always monitoring market dynamics and fare structures to ensure our app continues to be the best option for you.

Our data shows that cancellation fees often dissuade you from taking a trip; removing them will have a minimal impact on drivers’ overall earnings while encouraging you to take more trips.
Please note, if you are more than 5 minutes late drivers may choose to cancel trips at no penalty to them.

This new development will definitely be welcomed by the users of the Uber app.

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

General News

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power – Kofi Bentil

Published

on

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power - Kofi Bentsil

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power – Kofi Bentsil

A Vice President of IMANI Africa, Kofi Bentil, has said that though things are not what Ghanaians expect under the Akufo-Addo administration, but they are far better than they were under Mahama.

Sharing his views on the botched FixtheCountry demonstration with its concomitant issues on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, May 8, 2021, Mr. Bentil indicated that much as there appears to be a lot of challenges in the system now, they cannot be worse than when John Mahama was in power.

“Things are bad but they’re not as bad as they were under Mahama. I repeat, things aren’t good but they are better than we experienced under the NDC. Our expectations have not been met but one cannot say that what we went through under Mahama was better than now. No!” he emphasized.

A group of Ghanaians, it could be recalled, began a social media campaign aimed at asking the leadership of this country to fix the system since, in their views, things have gone bad.

Dubbed ‘FixtheCountry’, the people behind it have raised issues with water supply, electricity supply, unemployment, increase in taxes and levies, general economic situation in the country as the drive behind this campaign.

A street demonstration towards baring their teeth to the Akufo-Addo administration over the aforementioned issues has been put on hold due to a restraining order against them by the Ghana Police Service citing COVID-19 restrictions.

 

CREDIT: P.K Sarpong

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

General News

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN – Captain Smart

Published

on

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN – Captain Smart

I Will Never Go Hungry: The  30 days suspension of Captain Smart from Angel Broadcasting Network ABN has caused a stir among Ghanaians and people are talking and wondering why Captain Smart who recently resigned from Adom FM and joined ABN has to be put on suspension.

Well, the obvious reason may be the firebrand journalist’s continuous attack on politicians whom he feels are corrupt and not helping the nation.

Paul Adom Otchere, host of Good Evening Ghana on Metro TV had an interview with Captain Smart on his show largely on his suspension from Angel Broadcasting Network. In the interview, Smart made it clear to his critic in the industry who were rejoicing at his suspension that he will never go hungry even if the founder of the media company sacks him.

He also revealed that his suspension is for a month and that after it has expired he will go back to the radio station and continue his work as usual.

He said, “I have brain, my brain is working so there is no way I will go hungry even if the president of ABN decides to terminate my contract”.

“If Kweku Oteng says he cannot work with me again, Praise God, I will leave and will never get hungry because I’m not a lazy person, Yes my brain works. So I called Doc and he said people in government are calling him and the government is using the Ghana Revenue Authority because they say I talk too much” he added.

 

Watch Full Interview Here:

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

Trending