Connect with us

General News

Road constructed by Kanazoe, the Burkinabe who gave John Mahama a Ford Expedition deteriorates badly

Published

on

Road constructed by Kanazoe, the Burkinabe who gave John Mahama a Ford Expedition deteriorates badly

Road constructed by Kanazoe deteriorates badly: On June 15, 2016, exactly four years ago ace investigative journalist Manasseh Azure Awuni broke the Ford Expedition Scandal on JoyNews.

In that investigative piece, it was revealed that a Burkinabe contractor named Oumarou Kanazoe gave a Ford Expedition station wagon as a “gift” to President John Dramani Mahama in 2012.

The report also revealed that Mr. Kanazoe was involved in some questionable contracts with the government of Ghana, one of which was the Ghana Embassy fence wall in Burkina Faso which cost the government $650,000.

He had also been awarded part of the Eastern Corridor Road project between Nkwanta and Dodo Pepesu in the Oti Region. The road was commissioned in April 2016, by President John Mahama.

Kanazoe’s-Dodo-Pepeso-Nkwanta-road-deteriorates-four-years2

FILE: Kanazoe’s Dodo Pepesu-Nkwanta road deteriorates
CREDIT: TheGhanaReport

Four years after the scandal and the commissioning of the road, theghanareport.com has returned to the 46.4km Dodo Pepesu-Nkwanta road, which was constructed by the contractor. The road was highly praised by President John Mahama as, “one of the best quality roads in Ghana.”

A month after commissioning the road, potholes were spotted on it and have since developed serious defects at many sections of the road.

Kanazoe’s-Dodo-Pepeso-Nkwanta-road

FILE: Kanazoe’s Dodo Pepesu-Nkwanta road deteriorates
CREDIT: TheGhanaReport

Manasseh’s investigation had revealed that Mr. Kanoazoe had won and had been earmarked for contracts in Ghana after he became friends with Mr. John Mahama.

Mr. Kanazoe, after seizing Manasseh’s recorder in his office in Ouagadougou, told him (Manasseh) how he became John Mahama’s friend. He said he had put in a bid for a contract in Ghana but did not win.

After that, his contractor friend in Ghana had told him to go and see then Vice President Mahama. They went together and “greeted” Vice President Mahama. He became friends with Mr. Mahama, who later became President after the death of President John Evans Atta Mills in July 2012.

He gave the Ford vehicle to President Mahama in October 2012.

In 2012, Mr Kanazoe won the contract to construct the 46.4-kilometre Dodo Pepeso-Nkwanta road. That road was completed and inaugurated on April 19, 2016, by President Mahama, who praised the Burkinabe contractor very highly.

“I also want to take the opportunity to thank Messrs Oumarou Kanazoe Contractors Limited of Burkina Faso for the very high quality of work they have done on this stretch of road. As I have said, perhaps, this is one of the best quality roads in Ghana today and I will urge the Minister of Road and Highways to bring other contractors to come and see so that they can emulate it in other parts of the country,” President Mahama said.

Kanazoe’s-Dodo-Pepeso-Nkwanta-road

FILE: Kanazoe’s Dodo Pepesu-Nkwanta road deteriorates
CREDIT: TheGhanaReport

It turned out the road was not as good as the president claimed because just a month after the commissioning, the defects started to show.

This road was commissioned four years after the N1 Highway in Accra. Unlike the N1, which is very busy with heavy duty trucks from the Tema Harbour, the Nkwanta-Dodo Pepesu road is not very busy because the Eastern Corridor Road is yet to be completed. The road is however deteriorating while the N1 is still intact.

The Ministry of Roads and Highways was in the process of awarding Oumarou Kanazoe Construction Limited a contract worth GH¢82million on single source procurement basis when the story broke.

Sector Minister, Inusah Fuseini, said the Burkinabe contractor was being handpicked for the 28-kilometre road project because of the quality of the road he had constructed between Nkwanta and Dodo Pepesu and the fact that he was near the project site.

He said moving from Burkina Faso to the Hamile area would be easy for the contractor whose machinery and equipment were in Burkina Faso.

Another reason Inusah Fuseini said Kanazoe was being considered for the project was the fact that he had constructed the Burkina Faso-Hamile stretch of the road and was familiar with the terrain.

Mr. Kanazoe pulled out of this deal after the Ford story was published.

Some groups and individuals petitioned the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) to investigate President Mahama. CHRAJ concluded that the president had violated the gift policy by accepting the Ford vehicle from the contractor. CHRAJ, however,  said it did not amount to conflict of interest.

While investigating the scandal, Manasseh spoke with the Presidential Spokesperson on Governance and Corruption, Daniel Batidam, and asked him hypothetically what his advice to the President would be on whether or not to accept gifts of high value.

He smiled and replied, “Well, I’m sure you know that these are not situations that would occur in reality in terms of the kind of president we have.”

“It’s a hypothetical situation,” Manasseh told him.

“I think it’s obvious. It’s obvious that any leader, any president: not even a president, a minister; a responsible public servant would know that that situation could put him in a situation of not only conflict of interest but potentially being corrupted,” he said.

He continued, “And so I think it goes without saying that you cannot take gifts from sources that have the potential of influencing your decision making. It’s not acceptable. I think a responsible leader, minister [or] senior public servant would not need to be advised on that.”

There are calls on the government to continue with the Eastern Corridor road project. But it is evident that the stretch that has already been worked on is already deteriorating.

 


–: TheGhanaReport.com

 

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Business

Uber removes cancellation fees it charges on cancelled trips

Published

on

Uber removes cancellation fees

Uber removes cancellation fees it charges on cancelled trips

Ridesharing giant Uber has announced the removal of cancellation fees it charges on trips that are cancelled by either drivers or riders.

In the circular sent to all stakeholders, the company explained that after careful study of the market, it has come to realise that removing the trip cancellation charges will ensure that the Uber platform remains the best option for all.

Now going forward if you are 5 minutes late, drivers may choose to cancel the request with no penalty.

The circular reads:

Cancellation fees on Uber have now been removed. This means that no charges will be applied on cancelled trips.

At Uber, we are always monitoring market dynamics and fare structures to ensure our app continues to be the best option for you.

Our data shows that cancellation fees often dissuade you from taking a trip; removing them will have a minimal impact on drivers’ overall earnings while encouraging you to take more trips.
Please note, if you are more than 5 minutes late drivers may choose to cancel trips at no penalty to them.

This new development will definitely be welcomed by the users of the Uber app.

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

General News

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power – Kofi Bentil

Published

on

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power - Kofi Bentsil

Things are not as bad as today as they were when NDC was in power – Kofi Bentsil

A Vice President of IMANI Africa, Kofi Bentil, has said that though things are not what Ghanaians expect under the Akufo-Addo administration, but they are far better than they were under Mahama.

Sharing his views on the botched FixtheCountry demonstration with its concomitant issues on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, May 8, 2021, Mr. Bentil indicated that much as there appears to be a lot of challenges in the system now, they cannot be worse than when John Mahama was in power.

“Things are bad but they’re not as bad as they were under Mahama. I repeat, things aren’t good but they are better than we experienced under the NDC. Our expectations have not been met but one cannot say that what we went through under Mahama was better than now. No!” he emphasized.

A group of Ghanaians, it could be recalled, began a social media campaign aimed at asking the leadership of this country to fix the system since, in their views, things have gone bad.

Dubbed ‘FixtheCountry’, the people behind it have raised issues with water supply, electricity supply, unemployment, increase in taxes and levies, general economic situation in the country as the drive behind this campaign.

A street demonstration towards baring their teeth to the Akufo-Addo administration over the aforementioned issues has been put on hold due to a restraining order against them by the Ghana Police Service citing COVID-19 restrictions.

 

CREDIT: P.K Sarpong

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

General News

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN – Captain Smart

Published

on

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN

I Will Never Go Hungry Even If Kwaku Oteng Sacks Me From ABN – Captain Smart

I Will Never Go Hungry: The  30 days suspension of Captain Smart from Angel Broadcasting Network ABN has caused a stir among Ghanaians and people are talking and wondering why Captain Smart who recently resigned from Adom FM and joined ABN has to be put on suspension.

Well, the obvious reason may be the firebrand journalist’s continuous attack on politicians whom he feels are corrupt and not helping the nation.

Paul Adom Otchere, host of Good Evening Ghana on Metro TV had an interview with Captain Smart on his show largely on his suspension from Angel Broadcasting Network. In the interview, Smart made it clear to his critic in the industry who were rejoicing at his suspension that he will never go hungry even if the founder of the media company sacks him.

He also revealed that his suspension is for a month and that after it has expired he will go back to the radio station and continue his work as usual.

He said, “I have brain, my brain is working so there is no way I will go hungry even if the president of ABN decides to terminate my contract”.

“If Kweku Oteng says he cannot work with me again, Praise God, I will leave and will never get hungry because I’m not a lazy person, Yes my brain works. So I called Doc and he said people in government are calling him and the government is using the Ghana Revenue Authority because they say I talk too much” he added.

 

Watch Full Interview Here:

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 558210224 or info@accramail.com

Continue Reading

Trending