Connect with us

General News

Galamseyers deliberately immobilise excavators – taskforce explain burning of machines

Published

on

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]here has been outrage after videos emerged showing burning excavators as many argue the machines could have served a purpose in other fields.

The taskforce deployed to combat illegal mining (galamsey) has explained why some excavators used by galamseyers were set on fire.
There has been outrage after videos emerged showing burning excavators as many argue the machines could have served a purpose in other fields.
But the commander of the “Operation Vanguard” says his men were provoked, adding the miners were acting smart.

Colonel William Agyapong admitted in an interview with Citi FM that burning of the machines was not part of their mandate.
He said after the brouhaha over the burning machines, he demanded answers from his men and he was told the galamseyers will deliberately immobilise their excavators and move away from the site when they get hit the taskforce was coming.

“I must admit that it’s not part of our mandate; we are to marshal all available resources both human and material to combat this galamsey menace so it is not part of our mandate. However, when we learnt that these items have been burnt…we had a conference with the team demanding to know why that action was taken,” he said.
He continued: “They said that their intention was not to burn those items but they were provoked beyond their ability because these people have been playing hide and seek strategy with them.

Whenever the taskforce moves to such areas, as soon as the operators see the taskforce coming, they will just immobilise the machine either by taking away the control board or immobilising it so that we cannot even spark it and drive it to the designated places.

At least 90 illegal miners have so far been arrested.

We have arrested as many as 90 suspected illegal miners. In Eastern Region, we arrested 29, Western Region, 58 and in Ashanti Region we have arrested 3, Col. Agyapong said.

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 55 821 0224 or [email protected]

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Funny Face arrested for threatening some individuals

Published

on

Funny Face arrested
IMAGE CREDIT: Facebook - Ghana Police Service

Funny Face arrested for threatening some individuals

Accramail.com has sighted an official post on Ghana Police Service’s Facebook page which confirms that Benson Nana Yaw Oduro Boateng, popularly known as Funny Face has been arrested for allegedly threatening certain individuals via some Social Media platforms.

Further checks revealed that Funny Face has issued threats against some personalities in the entertainment industry including his baby mama, Vanessa. He earlier stated that due to the rate at which his baby mama has badmouthed him on social media, he will kill her and kill himself.

He further made threats against Bismark TheJoke, an actor, and Kalybos, saying he will kill them for trying to sabotage his career in the entertainment industry.

Prior to this, Funny Face also shared a video of himself on social media raining heavy insults on the persons of Fada Dickson, Bola Ray, and his best friend Emmanuel Adebayor.

This makes it no surprise of his arrest by the Ghana Police Service. In the official post sighted on the Facebook page of the Police Service, it states;

“Funny Face in Police Custody for Allegedly Threatening Some Individuals.

The Police have today, Monday, 18th October, 2021, at 10:14 pm arrested Benson Nana Yaw Oduro Boateng, popularly known as Funny Face for allegedly threatening certain individuals via some Social Media platforms.

Due to the history of the suspect, the police shall submit Benson Nana Yaw Oduro Boateng to the court for an order for psychiatric examination, to determine the next line of investigative action.

The police is committed to protecting lives with the generous help of the public.
We want to assure the public that we shall not take anything for granted in the interest of public safety”.

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 55 821 0224 or [email protected]

Continue Reading

General News

I’m not a fool to build a factory with no plan for raw materials – Mahama replies critics on Komenda Sugar Factory

Former President John Mahama has said he’s not a fool to build a factory with no plan for raw materials. This was a direct reply to his critics on the defunct Komenda Sugar Factory.

Published

on

not a fool to build a factory with no plan for raw materials

I’m not a fool to build a factory with no plan for raw materials – Mahama replies critics on Komenda Sugar Factory

Former President John Dramani Mahama has said his government had plans of establishing a sugar cane farm around the Komenda sugar factory to provide the raw materials to feed the factory but the current NPP government has abandoned that part of the project since taking office in 2017.

He told Cape93.3FM in an interview in the Central Region during his Thank You tour on Friday, 15 October 2021 that his vision for setting up the factory was to cut down on the almost $300 million spent annually to import sugar into Ghana.

“Phase I of the project was to build the factory and with phase II, the government of India gave us another $24 million for sugar cultivation and the out-growers”, Mr. Mahama explained to Ohene Kwame David.

“When this government came, they said the sugar factory wasn’t their priority and, so, they didn’t apply for the $24 million and, so, they left it and the factory is just sitting there”, he bemoaned.

According to the 2020 flag bearer of the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), the second phase of the project was designed to provide the raw material for the factory to make it self-sustaining.

“Do you think I’m a fool to build a factory and not make provisions for raw materials? I’m not that foolish. I did economics in the sixth form,” Mr. Mahama pointed out.

“So, I knew what the vision was: get the factory first and, so, when we start producing, we’ll have a processing plant.”

“So, it was one of our priority projects,” he added.

He said: “There are about 3,000 acres of land at Komenda, so, we planned doing a nucleus farm to feed the factory with raw materials and use the remaining balance of the $24 million to buy sugar cane from the out-growers in the area.”

“We’ll give them the planting materials because our sugar cane variety is very thin compared to the very think hybrid variety which has a lot of sugar in it,” he noted.

“So, the factory would buy the sugar cane from the out-growers,” he said.

“This government forgot about the second part”, he said, emphasizing that “the Komenda Sugar Factory project has two parts: the plant and the sugar cane growing but they forgot about the second part, that is why the factory is sitting there idle and now they want to privatize it.”

“But even if you privatize it, you still need the support of the farmers to grow the sugar cane.”

“If we come back into government, by the grace of God, and they have not sold the factory yet, it’s a factory that can work to produce a very good percentage of Ghana’s sugar requirement and provide the youth in the area with jobs,” Mr. Mahama said.

 


Content Source: classfmonline.com

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 55 821 0224 or [email protected].com

Continue Reading

General News

You know you rigged the election for NPP; 2020 elections worse among all elections – Mahama to Jean Mensa

Published

on

2020 elections worse among all elections - Mahama to Jean Mensa

You know you rigged the election for NPP; 2020 elections worse among all elections – Mahama to Jean Mensa

The former one-term President of Ghana and the 2020 flagbearer of the opposition NDC party, John Dramani Mahama, has described the 2020 general elections as one of the worst in the history of Ghana’s democracy.

The EC chairperson Jean Mensa on Wednesday told the ECOWAS Parliament at Winneba that the polls were rather “historic” saying it has become a case study for most advanced democracies in the world.

However, speaking in an interview as part of his “thank you” tour in the Western Region, Mr. Mahama said: “2020 general election is one of the worst elections organized since 1992.”

“Tell me which election in Ghana was ballot papers printed yet one million ballot papers were found elsewhere… We didn’t witness this under Dr. Kwadwo Afari-Gyan. She [Jean Mensa] knew there was ballot stuffing.”

On the election-related violence that claimed some lives, Mrs. Jean Meansa told the commission of inquiry that the EC cannot be blamed because it happened outside its polling stations.

“Sadly, seven lives were lost and though this did not occur at our polling station nor arise as misconduct on our part, one life lost is one too many. We are confident that our security agencies will share their investigations and recommendations for future learnings,” she said.

On his part, the 2020 presidential candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) said: “I have taken part in elections since 1992 as an MP. I haven’t seen a situation where soldiers were holding guns at collation centers. We normally have police, immigration officers, etc there.”

“Eight people have died, which election did we have in Ghana that eight people perished?”, he quizzed.

 


CREDIT: Asaase radio

Submit your stories or articles to us via WhatsApp +233 55 821 0224 or [email protected]

Continue Reading

Trending