Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo Region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- Are you passionate about leading a team of Health and Safety professionals to effectively support the operations meet business targets without fatalities, injuries or illness?
- We are looking for a Health & Safety leader with a history of strong performance.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Manage the execution of Occupational Health and Safety (H&S) strategies to reduce and minimize the impact of work on employees’ health and well-being.
- Lead, engage and develop a team of Health and Safety professionals.
- Coach and influence operational leaders.
- Drive standardization, simplification and alignment.
- Lead implementation of Newmont initiatives.
- Translate and communicate business Health and Safety requirements, practical application, track and monitor progress.
- Ensure effective and consistent identification and management of regional risks.
- Develop and drive site strategic objectives.
- Manage the site H&S budget including cost reporting.
- Identify site trends and emerging issues to implement timely strategic plans.
- Partner with Regional and Global Health and Safety leaders to ensure programs and initiative are aligned and effective.
Escalate and inform Health and Safety matters to the Site Leadership Team and Regional Health and Safety team to enable effective response and rapid application.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPEREINCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
- Tertiary qualified in Health, Safety, Engineering or Applied Sciences.
- Demonstrated excellence in technical knowledge of Health and Safety principles.
- Operational experience in Mining, Oil & Gas or Heavy Industry.
- Experience leading team of team of technical and SMEs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage sustainable change.
- Demonstrated ability to take a system view and identify emerging risks.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in conducting risk assessments and audit processes.
- Minimum 8 – 10 years’ Health and Safety experience, of which at least 4 – 5 years should be in the capacity of a Manager for a large organization, including experience in areas such as Surface and Underground Mining, Process Plant Operations and Project Construction.
- Goal Orientated.
- Safety Conscious.
- Safety Management Systems
- Cost Reporting
- Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS)
- Plant Operations
- Heavy Industry
- Team Leadership
- Health & Safety
- Occupational Health
Level of education
- Travel is required to attend Chamber of Mines Technical Committee meetings, as well as periodic meetings with the Chief Inspector of Mines in Accra.
- Person will work in an office setting with regular visits to operational areas.
Date job was posted: